What is Teletherapy?
Teletherapy is distance therapy done over the phone or an online video and/or audio platform instead of in an office.
Why Would Someone Use Teletherapy?
There are many reasons to provide online therapy instead of office-based therapy that can include:
- Lack of transportation
- Time constraints
- Distance to office
- Comfort with digital platforms
- Natural disasters
Who Can Engage in Teletherapy?
Teletherapy can be provided to people of all ages, even young children. Not all individuals or situations are appropriate for teletherapy and your provider will decide if teletherapy is a good fit for you.
When Are Teletherapy Appointments Scheduled?
Teletherapy sessions are scheduled the same as office-based sessions and will be scheduled during your provider’s normal office hours.
Where Should I Be For My Teletherapy Meeting?
Teletherapy sessions can be done just about anywhere from a computer/laptop, tablet, or smartphone as long as you have an Internet connection and you are in Ohio. Your provider will be in a secure environment that allows for confidentiality. It is encouraged that you try to be in an environment that lends itself to confidentiality and that you use a secure Internet connection instead of a public connection.
How Will I Access The Teletherapy Meeting?
You will receive an email or text at the time of your appointment that will include a link to join the meeting. Click on the link, type in your name, hit "join session". If your provider has not started the meeting, you will wait in the virtual waiting room until the meeting is started and the "join session" button pops up (you will have to click on that button to join the meeting). If your provider already has started the meeting, you will see your provider's face as soon as you hit "join session".
Is Teletherapy for Kids?
Yes! Teletherapy can be done even with very young kids with the presence of a caregiver. Many times, children respond well to teletherapy. They can access their own toys, art supplies, crafts, games, and more, and can be comfortable in their own environment.
What Else Should I Know Before Starting?
- For more detailed instructions click HERE.
- You will need to sign consent forms to receive teletherapy.
- You might want to consider privacy on your end. If you or your child want your conversations with your provider to be private, consider using a private space for your conversations, using headphones, using white noise machines, etc.
- A bigger screen usually is better for teletherapy meetings because you will be able to see your provider better, but any size screen can work.
- You do not have to receive telehealth from a provider in your city. As long as the provider is licensed in the state where you are, you can choose a teletherapist 5 minutes from you or 5 hours! (Our therapists are licensed in the state of Ohio and can provide services to people physically in Ohio.)